From Pandemic to Protest:
Due to 2020 spinning completely out of control, we decided to memorialize-in-print the great poetry that is being written about the issues that have occupied our minds and our hearts this year. We are looking for poetry about the COVID-19 Pandemic, Black Lives Matter Protests, Presidential Election, Fires, Hurricanes, Murder Hornets, and everything in-between. We welcome all voices and styles of poetry written in response to these issues, including how we cope and find hope. If hindsight really is 20/20, then let this issue serve as an important reminder of what truly happened...before history becomes altered or white-washed as it has so many times before.
Submissions Open: Oct 15 - Dec 15, 2020
This issue scheduled for release in Fall 2021.
We are accepting submissions from both established and emerging writers, from anywhere in the world.
- One submission (maximum 3 poems) per author.
- Please put all poems in a one single file attachment.
- All submissions must be typed…not handwritten. Single-spaced.
- If submitting more than one poem, please start each poem at the top of a new page.
- Include your name (as it should appear in your byline) and email address at the bottom of each page, with page numbers. (We’re not selecting work based on “who”; this is just to help us stay organized.)
- Please present your poems in the format you’d like them to appear. If some of the lines are wider than our margins, we will consult you regarding any necessary line breaks or indentations needed for formatting. Our page size is 6 x 9 inches with approximately 1 inch margins.
- Please use a standard readable font such as Times New Roman or Arial in 12pt. Do not embed your poems in graphics or imagery.
- Please send your BIO (50 words or less) written in THIRD PERSON, in the field provided on Submittable. Please limit your publishing credits to three. Include notable accomplishments and something fun & personal to keep it engaging for our readers.
- For this Issue, we will consider previously published work, with PRIORITY GIVEN to unpublished work. Please include acknowledgment details at the end of the poem: ("Poem Title" previously published in Publication Title, Year.)
- Simultaneous submissions are okay, but please notify us IMMEDIATELY if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
- We will not respond to submissions until AFTER the deadline has passed, to make sure we give everyone a fair shot. If you haven’t heard from us by March 1st, feel free to drop us a line to inquire the status of your submission.
- We offer our contributing authors a free copy and the chance to pre-order copies of the anthology at a discount 60 days before we go to print. We also support our writers by making nominations from each issue to The Pushcart Prize.
- Acceptance grants The Poetry Box North American serial, electronic and archival publishing rights. Copyright always remains with the author. If a poem published first in The Poeming Pigeon is later published elsewhere, we respectfully ask that you credit us as the original publisher.
- Every submitter will receive a 25% coupon for one item in our bookstore.
If you have any questions, you can contact the editor, Shawn Aveningo Sanders via Shawn@thePoetryBox.com.
We look forward to reading your work!